Singapore S Pass Application Services Include:

  1. Pre-application information and advising on Singapore S pass
  2. EP Online filing of (S pass Application)
  3. Tracking of Spass Application status while under processing
  4. Liaising with Direct MOM officer in charge, if required
  5. Responding to MOM’s requests for additional information, if any
  6. Arranging for issuance of the s pass upon in-principle approval (IPA)
  7. Filing of unlimited appeal in case of rejection of S Pass application

Apply S Pass

Mid-skilled technical staff who meet the eligibility criteria

An employer or appointed employment agent must apply on behalf of the applicant. If the pass holder changes jobs, the new employer has to apply for a new pass

Fixed monthly salary of at least $2,500 wef 1st Oct 2020

Up to 2 years

Yes. Find out how to renew Spass

Available for eligible pass holders

Yes. Employers are subject to a quota and levy for S Pass employees

Employers must provide medical insurance for S Pass holders

S Pass Application For Foreign Workers

(Apply S Pass) for hiring technical staff to work in Singapore.

Singapore S Pass application services to render further assistance to employers intending to apply an S Pass for their foreign staff, especially companies that are newly registered in Singapore.

The S Pass is a Singapore work visa type designed for mid-level skilled foreign workers employed by companies operating in Singapore. The application is assessed based on a point system with consideration for each of the following factors: salary, education qualifications, skills, job type, and work experience. The number of S Pass holders a Singapore company can employ is capped at a sub-quota of 25% of the company’s total workforce.

S Pass Validity:

  • It has a validity of 1 or 2 years and is renewable as long as the pass holder remains employed in the company, subject to the prevailing conditions imposed by the authority at the time of renewal.

S Pass Benefits:

  • S Pass applicants whose fixed monthly salary is at least S$2,800 may apply for Dependant’s Pass and/or Long-Term Visit Pass for their family members.

Permanent Residence Eligibility:

  • Spass holders are eligible to apply for Singapore Permanent Residency. There is no waiting period but it is advisable to wait for at least three years before applying for Permanent Residence.

S Pass Eligibility:

  • A fixed monthly salary of S$2,500 or above.
    Possession of a degree, diploma, or technical/specialist qualifications.
    Relevant work experience and skills.

Decisions on all applications are subject to the discretion of the approving authority.

Before, During, And After You Apply For S pass

Before applying for S Pass

  • Know the S Pass eligibility and requirements
  • Know your quota and levy
  • (First-time employers) Declare business activity
  • Check the documents required for applying

Before the candidate arrives in Singapore

  • Apply for Spass

After the candidate arrives in Singapore

  • Buy medical insurance and submit details
  • Get the S pass issued
  • Register fingerprints and photo
  • Receive the Spass card

As and when required

  • Notify MOM of changes
  • Renew S pass
  • Replace a lost or damaged pass card
  • Cancel S pass

After submitting an application you can check the application status online.

Already know the process? Go directly to EP Online service to apply.

Employers are urged to defer bringing foreigners into Singapore during this period until further notice.

Approvals for any new applications will be limited. You may continue to apply for passes for foreigners who are already in Singapore.

Who can apply for S Pass:

  • Employer or appointed employment agency (EA).

How much it costs:

1) When you submit the application:

  • MOM Cost $75 for each pass

2) When you get the pass issued:

  • MOM Cost $100 for each pass

How long it takes:

  • Within 3 weeks for most cases.

Our Services: 

  • Apply for an S Pass
  • Check application status
  • EP Online – get the pass issued
  • Make an appointment
  • Check card delivery status

More MOM forms


  • If this is the first time you are applying for an S Pass, you first need to declare your business activity.
  • Your company must have an account with the Central Provident Fund Board for calculating your S Pass quota.
  • The candidate’s passport must be valid for at least 7 months. The S Pass duration granted will only be up to 1 month before the expiry date of the passport.
  • If a candidate is in Singapore with a visit pass that will expire before the S Pass is issued, we won’t be able to extend the visit pass.
  • You should only bring in candidates when the pass is approved. They don’t need to be in Singapore when you apply and we won’t be able to extend their visit pass.

These are the steps for applying:

StepWho does thisResult
Submit an applicationEmployer or EAIn-principle approval or rejection letter
Get the pass issuedEmployer or EANotification letter
Register fingerprints and photo (if required)CandidateAcknowledgment of card delivery
Receive the cardAuthorised recipients or candidateS Pass card

Only eligible candidates will be considered for an S Pass. Criteria include a minimum salary of $2,500 and acceptable qualifications. Use the Self-Assessment Tool to check a candidate’s eligibility before you apply.

Who is eligible

The S Pass is for mid-skilled foreign employees (e.g. technicians) who meet these criteria:

  • Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $2,400. The salary should reflect work experience. Older, more experienced applicants need higher salaries to qualify.

  • Have a degree or diploma. We may consider technical certificates, such as courses for qualified technicians or specialists. The certification should require at least 1 year of full-time study.

  • Have relevant work experience.

Application for an S Pass is open to all nationalities.

Use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to check if the applicant qualifies for the pass.

You cannot employ foreign workers to work at a food stall in a hawker center, coffee shop, or food court. Such operations are small scale and should be manned by owners or family members.

Acceptable qualifications

We do not accept qualifications from unaccredited institutions.

To check if an institution is accredited, you can use:

  • Global verification agencies such as Dataflow or Risk Management Intelligence (RMI)

  • International accreditation bodies

  • Awarding country’s educational authorities

MOM doesn’t have a list of approved institutions. Instead, MOM evaluates each application on its own merit, based on a wide range of factors such as the candidate’s salary, track records, work experience, skill sets, and global and countries’ rankings of institutions.

Who can apply for S pass

An employer or authorised third party has to apply for a candidate’s S Pass.

Self-Assessment Tool

We encourage you to use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether an applicant meets the requirements. Candidates can also use the tool to assess their eligibility.

If the SAT shows that the candidate is not eligible, you shouldn’t apply for the S Pass because it will be rejected.

If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.

Passes for family members

Pass holders who have a fixed monthly salary of at least $6,000, are eligible for a Dependant’s Pass for their spouse and children.

Employers can submit the application together with the S Pass application or separately at a later date.

You are limited by a quota and must pay the monthly foreign worker levy for each S Pass holder you employ. Find out your quota and levy requirements, how to pay the levy and applying for a levy waiver.

S Pass quota and levy requirements

The number of S Pass holders you can hire is limited by a quota. You must also pay a monthly levy for these workers.

What is the foreign worker levy?

The foreign worker levy, commonly known as “levy”, is a pricing mechanism to regulate the number of foreign workers in Singapore.

As an employer, you must pay the levy for all your S Pass holders. The levy liability starts from the day the S Pass is issued and ends when the pass is canceled or expires.

You have to pay the levy using GIRO.

Levy rates are regularly reviewed and adjusted as required. See the upcoming levy rates announced in Budget 2020.

Quota requirement

If you have never applied for a Work Permit or S Pass, you need to declare your business activity for calculating your quota.

Under the quota, the number of S Pass holders your company can hire is capped at:

  • 13% of the company’s total workforce in the services sector.
  • 20% in all other sectors.

Employers who exceed quota will need to increase their local workforce or reduce the number of foreign workers.

Calculate your quota or refer to the Guidelines on the Calculation of Quota and Levy Bill.

Upcoming changes in the S Pass quota

SectorFrom 1 Jan 2021From 1 Jan 2023
ServicesChange from 13% to 10% of the total workforceNo change
  • Construction
  • Marine shipyard
  • Process
Change from 20% to 18% of the total workforceChange from 18% to 15% of the total workforce

S Pass Levy rate

For the services sector, the levy rate is as follows:

TierQuota %Monthly levy rateDaily levy rate
Basic / Tier 1Up to 10% of the total workforce$330$10.85
Tier 2Above 10% to 13% of the total workforce$650$21.37

For all sectors (excluding services), the levy rate is as follows:

TierQuota %Monthly levy rateDaily levy rate
Basic / Tier 1Up to 10% of the total workforce$330$10.85
Tier 2Above 10% to 20% of the total workforce$650$21.37


  • For all sectors, the S Pass quota will be counted within the Work Permit quota.
  • The daily levy rate applies only to S Pass holders who did not work for a full calendar month. The daily levy rate is calculated as follows: (Monthly levy rate x 12) / 365 = rounding up to the nearest cent.

You will have to pay a levy for your S Pass holder every month. Find out how to pay the levy and view bills online, and the penalties for late payment.

When and how to pay the levy

You must pay the levy via General Interbank Recurring Order (GIRO).

If you don’t have a GIRO account, apply for one using the GIRO application form. MOM will notify you of the outcome by post.

You can check your application status and the start date of your GIRO deduction one month after your GIRO application.

After GIRO is approved

  • The levy for each month will be deducted from your bank account on the 17th of the following month (or the next working day if it falls on a weekend or public holiday).
  • You should maintain enough funds in your account before the deduction date. If the GIRO deduction is unsuccessful, your bank may charge you a failed transaction fee.
The levy for January 2017 will be deducted on 17 February 2017.

If you need to pay levy using other methods

  • You must pay the levy for each month by the 14th of the following month.

Note: It takes longer for MOM to process your payment when you pay using other methods.

You should not use other payment methods if you already have a GIRO arrangement, as the scheduled GIRO deduction will still go ahead.

Penalties for not paying the levy

You can view your latest levy bill on the 6th of every month using Check and pay the levy.

If you don’t pay the full levy on time, you may face these penalties:

  • You’ll be charged a late payment penalty of 2% per month or $20, whichever is higher. Your total late payment penalty will be capped at 30% of the outstanding levy.
  • Your existing S Passes will be revoked.
    Note: After clearing the arrears and fines, you may submit a new application for S Pass holders. Your S Pass holders must obtain new S Passes before they can continue to work.
  • You won’t be allowed to apply for or issue S Passes, or renew existing S Passes.
  • You may face legal action to recover the unpaid levy.
  • If you, your partners or directors head other companies, these companies will not be allowed to apply for S Passes.

Apply for levy waiver for S Pass

You can get a waiver of levy for S Pass holders only in certain specific situations. These include overseas leave and hospitalisation leave.

Read MOM FAQs on levy waiver and rebates which are part of the COVID-19 support measures.

When you can get a levy waiver

You can apply for a levy waiver only if the S Pass holder:

  • Is on overseas leave for at least 7 consecutive days.
    Capped at 60 calendar days per calendar year.

In light of COVID-19, MOM will temporarily lift the cap from 60 to 90 calendar days for S Pass holders on overseas leave, for the year 2020.

  • Is on hospitalisation leave issued by Singapore hospitals.
    Capped at 60 calendar days per calendar year.
  • Failed to return to Singapore after overseas leave.
  • Is under police custody or is housed at the embassy.
  • Passed away.
  • Has been granted Singapore permanent residence.
  • Is in the harbour-craft industry and is on board a vessel leaving Singapore’s port for at least 3 consecutive days.
  • Is a Malaysian and is serving National Service in his home country (usually for 3 months).

What you need to do If S Pass holder,

Went on overseas leave

  • No documents needed. We will contact you if we need any.
  • If the pass holder chose not to return from overseas leave, you should cancel the work pass before you apply for a waiver.

Was admitted to a hospital in Singapore

Any of the following:

  • Medical certificate showing the period of hospitalisation leave.
  • Hospital bills reflect the admission and discharge dates.

Was in the custody of the police or embassy

  • A letter from the relevant organisation stating the period of custody.

Passed away

  • A copy of his death certificate.

Became a Singapore permanent resident

One of the following:

  • A copy of his NRIC.
  • The approval letter from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Is on board a vessel leaving Singapore’s port for at least 3 consecutive days (for harbour-craft industry)

  • A declaration form signed by the vessel captain from the Maritime And Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) stating the period he was on board the vessel.

Is a Malaysian serving National Service in his home country

All of the following:

  • A letter from the Malaysia Authority stating the period he is required to do National Service.
  • A copy of the certificate of completion of National Service.

When to apply

You can apply for the levy waiver only after the levy has been charged and it must be within 1 year of the levy bill.

If the waiver period requested is from January 2015 (start month) to February 2015 (end month), you must submit the application by 31 January 2016.

How to apply

You need to apply online at CPF website. After logging in, choose Application for Waiver of Foreign Worker Levy (Business).

You can check your application status online after 12 working days.

How to calculate the waiver

Amount waived = Monthly levy rate – Levy payable


  • Waiver period: 1 – 15 September
  • S Pass holder’s levy rate: $650 monthly (or $21.37 daily)

How to calculate

  1. Count the number of days from 16 to 30 September where the levy is payable, i.e. 15 days.
  2. Find out the amount of levy payable using daily rate, i.e. 15 days x $21.37 = $320.55
  3. Amount waived = Monthly levy rate – Levy payable
    $650 (monthly levy rate) – $320.55 (levy payable) = $329.45 (amount waived)

For the services sector, the levy rate is as follows:

TierQuota %Monthly levy rateDaily levy rate
Basic / Tier 1Up to 10% of the total workforce$330$10.85
Tier 2Above 10% to 13% of the total workforce$650$21.37

For all sectors (excluding services), the levy rate is as follows:

TierQuota %Monthly levy rateDaily levy rate
Basic / Tier 1Up to 10% of the total workforce$330$10.85
Tier 2Above 10% to 20% of the total workforce$650$21.37


  • For all sectors, the S Pass quota will be counted within the Work Permit quota.
  • The daily levy rate applies only to S Pass holders who did not work for a full calendar month. The daily levy rate is calculated as follows: (Monthly levy rate x 12) / 365 = rounding up to the nearest cent.

Before you can issue or renew an S Pass, you must buy medical insurance for the pass holder and submit the details online.

What it should cover

As part of an employer’s S Pass medical obligations, you must buy and maintain medical insurance for your S Pass holders as long they are under your employment.

The insurance coverage must be at least $15,000 per year and cover inpatient care and day surgery.

Co-pay arrangement

You can have a co-pay arrangement with the S Pass holder only if all of the following are met:

  • The medical treatment is not for work-related inpatient expenses.

  • The co-pay amount is reasonable and does not exceed 10% of the worker’s monthly salary.

  • The duration of co-payment does not exceed 6 months.

  • The co-payment option is explicitly in the employment contract or collective agreement and has the worker’s full consent.

You cannot pass on the cost of purchasing the medical insurance to S Pass holders.

Submit insurance details

You need to submit medical insurance details online before you request to issue or renew an S Pass, and when the insurance details change.

You can submit the medical insurance details through:

  • WP Online
  • EP Online – you can submit the details when you issue the S Pass.

You need to keep the following information up to date:

  • Name of insurer
  • Insurance policy number
  • Insurance policy commencement date
  • Insurance policy expiry date

We encourage you to get a WP Online account to make it easier for you to update your employees’ medical insurance. Registration is free.

You will need to pay S Pass holders using electronic methods such as GIRO and funds transfers.

Requirements for paying salary

If you employ S Pass holders, you need to:

  • Pay their salaries electronically.
  • Start electronic payments within 3 months after the S Pass is issued.
  • Maintain a record of the salary payments.

Employers can be fined or prosecuted if they don’t comply with these requirements. We may also take this into account when assessing future work pass applications.

Electronic payment methods

You can use these methods for paying S Pass salaries:

  • General Interbank Recurring Order (GIRO) with your designated bank.
  • Internet funds transfer.
  • ATM funds transfer.
  • Standing order.
  • Funds transfer through bank counters.

Exemptions from electronic payments

You are exempted from electronic payment of salaries in these situations:

  • The S Pass has been issued for 3 months or less.
  • The wages are for the worker’s last month of employment.
  • The wages are for overtime work.

You need to upload documents, e.g. educational certificates and passport page showing personal particulars, when submitting the S Pass application.

You need to upload these documents to apply for an S Pass:

  • Personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
    If the candidate’s name on the passport is different from the other documents, you need to include one of the following:
    • Explanation letter and supporting documents, e.g. deed poll.
    • An affidavit.
  • Company’s latest business profile or instant information registered with ACRA.
  • Candidate’s educational certificates, e.g. degree certificate. You need additional documents for:
Qualifications fromAdditional documents needed
IndiaTranscripts or mark sheets for all semesters, indicating the college attended.

Verification proof for diploma and above qualifications from one of these sources. For:

  • Diploma: Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate from China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHSI)
  • Degree and above: China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Information (CDGDC)
  • Diploma and above: Global verification agency, e.g. Dataflow or Risk Management Intelligence (RMI).
Institutions not listed in the application form

Verification proof for diploma and above qualifications from a global verification agency, e.g. Dataflow or RMI.

MOM may ask for other documents when we review the application.

Requirements for verification proof

Employers are responsible for ensuring that your candidates’ qualifications are genuine and were awarded by accredited institutions.

If you are asked for verification proof, please note the following:

  • You can get the verification proof from a global verification agency, e.g. Dataflow or RMI.
  • The verification proof must confirm that the qualifications are genuine and were awarded by accredited institutions.
  • Educational certificates certified by a notary public are not accepted as a form of verification proof.
For non-English documents, you must submit the original document and an English translation. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.

You need to submit additional documents for the following:

You need:

The foreign representative of overseas companies

  • A copy of the approval letter from International Enterprise Singapore for setting up the representative office in Singapore.
  • A letter from the representative’s office headquarters stating:
    • The purpose of the application.
    • The duration of the candidate’s assignment.
    • A guarantee for the maintenance and repatriation of the candidate.

For healthcare professionals, lawyers, football players, or coach’s

You need supporting documents from the respective professional bodies:

OccupationProfessional body
DentistSingapore Dental Council
Diagnostic radiographerAllied Health Professions Council
DoctorSingapore Medical Council
Emergency medical technicianUnit for Prehospital Emergency Care
A football player or coachSport Singapore
LawyerLegal Services Regulatory Authority
NurseSingapore Nursing Board
Occupational therapistAllied Health Professions Council
ParamedicUnit for Prehospital Emergency Care
PharmacistSingapore Pharmacy Council
PhysiotherapistAllied Health Professions Council
Radiation therapistAllied Health Professions Council
Speech therapistAllied Health Professions Council
TCM practitionerTraditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners Board

For employees of food establishment

A copy of the food shop licence issued by the Singapore Food Agency (SFA).

If you have a new establishment and don’t have the licence yet, you can submit a copy of the “Application for Foodshop Licence” letter issued to you by SFA.

Processing time: within 3 weeks. Some cases will take more time.

To submit an application:

  1. Get a written consent to apply for S Pass from the candidate.
  2. Log in to our online service to fill out the application and upload the required documents.
  3. Pay the $75 fee for each application. You can pay by GIRO, VISA, MasterCard, or eNets Debit.
  4. Check your application status after 3 weeks. It may take longer if additional information is required.
  5. If the pass is approved, log in to EP Online and print the in-principle approval (IPA) letter.

Send the pass holder’s copy of the IPA to the candidate. It has a pre-approved single-entry visa for the candidate to enter Singapore.

The IPA gives you 60 days to bring the candidate to Singapore and get the pass issued. It also states if the candidate needs to go for a medical examination, which can be done after arrival in Singapore.

When: Within 60 days of in-principle approval

Processing time: Immediate

The candidate must be in Singapore when you request for the pass to be issued.

To get the pass issued:

  1. Log in to EP Online. Submit the supporting documents (see what you’ll need).
  2. Provide an address (home or office) where the card will be delivered.
  3. Nominate up to 3 authorised recipients to receive the card, and provide their NRIC, FIN, or Passport number, mobile numbers, and email address.
  4. Pay the $100 fee for each pass issued. You can pay by GIRO, VISA, MasterCard, or eNets Debit.
  5. When the pass is issued, print the notification letter.

The notification letter:

  • Is valid for 1 month from the date of issue. Request to extend the validity if you have a change of travel plans.
  • Should be given to the candidate. It allows them to travel in and out of Singapore while waiting for the pass card.
  • States if the candidate needs to register at MOM Services Centre – Hall C (MOMSC).

What you’ll need

You will need the following information to issue the pass:

  • Candidate’s passport details.
  • Details of medical insurance.
  • Details of work injury compensation insurance.
  • Details of the candidate’s current Short Term Visit Pass or immigration pass.
  • Candidate’s residential address in Singapore. From 14 Sep 2018, the candidate’s residential address must meet the housing requirements before you can get the pass issued.
  • A local address where we can deliver the card.
  • Contact details of at least one authorised recipient to receive an SMS or email on the delivery details.

You may also need to submit PDF copies of these documents:

  • Personal particulars page of the candidate’s current passport, including any amendment pages.
  • Disembarkation/Embarkation card (immigration white card).
  • Completed medical examination form.
  • Completed declaration form attached with the candidate’s in-principle approval letter. The form should be signed by any authorised human resource personnel, or a person holding at least a managerial position in the company.
If the medical report is not ready, you can extend the candidate’s Short Term Visit Pass. Submit your request and a copy of the doctor’s confirmation.

When: Within 1 week after the pass is issued (if required)

Check the notification letter for whether the candidate needs to register fingerprints and photos.

For registration, you must make an appointment for the candidate to visit MOM Services Centre – Hall C. They need to register within 1 week after the pass is issued.

The candidate should bring along these documents for the appointment:

  • Original passport
  • Appointment letter
  • Notification letter
  • The documents listed in the IPA letter and notification letter

When: 4 working days after registration or document verification

We will deliver the card to the given address 4 working days after the candidate registers and gets the document verified.

If the candidate does not have to register, we will deliver the card 4 working days after checking the documents.

The authorised recipients will get an SMS or email with the delivery details at least 1 working day before the delivery.

You can also check the card delivery details in EP Online.

Download SGWorkPass to scan the QR code on your new card to check status, expiry date, and more.

If card delivery fails

After two unsuccessful deliveries, you’ll have to collect the card at MOM Services Centre – Hall C.

The candidate or an authorised person can collect it 3 working days after the second attempted delivery. They don’t need an appointment.

Bring along these documents for the card collection:

  • Candidate’s original passport.
  • Notification letter.

If you authorise someone to collect it on your behalf, make sure they bring these along:

  • An authorised letter from the employer.
  • NRIC or passport for verification.